Friday, January 13, 2012

Balancing Work and Family

One of my most favorite parts of my job has been the extensive amounts of international travel that I have done over the past seven years.  I've traveled the globe and been to some pretty amazing places, including my favorite destination, Aitutaki, in the Cook Islands in the remote South Pacific.  This is where I learned to snorkel for the very first time.


On this particular adventure, I happened to be in the company of Spencer Wells, who was visiting remote areas of the South Pacific to sample genetic materials from the indigenous populations.  This genetic material would later be used in his project to document human migration, ultimately proving the existence of Adam and Eve.  The Atolls and Motus (think tiny islands) were some of the most gorgeous scenery that I have ever seen, anywhere in the world! 


On this adventure of a lifetime, we even stumbled upon the filming of Survivor: Cook Islands that premiered back in September of 2006.  We couldn't see any of the filming while it was happening but did spend the afternoon on Exile Island where we picnicked and snorkeled for the afternoon, without the cast of course! 



My traveling days have been put on hold for the past several months, once I was too far along in my pregnancy to safely fly.  This time last year, I was preparing for a major trip to Asia that would take me to Hong Kong, Shanghai, Singapore and Tokyo. 


Unfortunately, our trip was cut short in Shanghai when the devastating tsunami hit Japan last March.  I was secretly 2 months pregnant at the time and we hadn't told anyone except our parents the good news, planning the big reveal for after this trip was over.  The earthquake aftershocks in Tokyo, electricity shortage and increased levels of radiation made it a no-brainer of a decision to return to the US as quickly as possible.  We headed home through South Korea instead of Japan and made it back to Atlanta a grueling 24 hours later. 

A return trip to Asia is on the horizon for me in the next several weeks and my usual excitement for travel is now mixed with emotion when I think about leaving behind my precious baby girl for 10 days as I travel half way around the world.  On one hand, I am excited to go back to some of my most favorite countries, but on the other hand, I feel guilty about going and worry that I will miss my sweet baby.  Any tips on how to make it any easier for this first time momma?  How do you balance work and family?

1 comment: